Finding My Way Home

By Nancy Rynes, author of Awakenings from the Light

Maybe you've noticed, maybe you didn't, but I haven't been around much on social media or in my newsletter for the last six months. What happened? Was I ill? Did I travel off planet?

No, nothing quite that dramatic happened. 

I decided to try life as a nomad. 
Picture of man sitting by the ocean


For several years, I nurtured a dream to buy an RV and live life on the road. Traveling from place to place and seeing the glorious sights of this continent seemed like something that would suit me to a T. While my daughter was still in high school, I knew this wasn't a practical way for us to live so the dream had to be set aside. But last summer she graduated and went off to college, so it was time once again to give this dream some serious thought.


Before I invested money in an RV, I wanted to try out my plan by living in a series of short term vacation rentals. It wasn't quite the same, but I figured it would give me insight as to whether the nomadic life was for me without dropping a ton of money into it. And if I happened to find a place in which I wanted to live permanently, even better.
The Mountains of Colorado, Autumn 2019

My plan was to wander the country for at least a year before deciding whether to buy an RV and make myself into a full-time nomad, or settle down somewhere.

Tucson, Arizona

Three months into it, I knew in my bones that living on the road was not for me. By month five I said adios to the dream and purchased a home. 


You might consider my experiment a failure, but in the best way possible it was a huge success. I gave the dream a chance to unfold. I tried it and in the process, learned much about myself, other people, and life in general. I also met some incredibly kind and warm people; reconnected with old friends and made new ones; learned things I did not expect; saw incredible sights; and experienced firsthand the power of the energy that places and people hold. 
Sunset over Tucson, Arizona

What were some of the things that eventually turned me away from life as a nomad?


My creativity fell to almost nothing. This was an effect I didn't expect, not in a million years. I know some people are energized by traveling as a nomad, but apparently this was not working for me. I didn't want to pick up a brush or write anything, as creative inspiration seemed to simply evaporate.

The constant packing and unpacking, not being able to find my necessities,  having to get used to a new town on a regular basis, and not having a space to paint consistently, all took their toll. And when my health started to suffer, I knew it was time to call it quits.

My dreams of being a nomad in a huge RV died with a whimper. I knew that wasn't the life for me.
Two Ground Squirrels Greeting Each Other

I learned a lot about myself during the last six months. I'm healthier and happier if I'm settled in a home. I learned how to pack quickly and efficiently, and that I didn't really need all that much "stuff" to live comfortably. I learned how much I truly love the desert, that it feels familiar in a way that I still can't explain. And most important of all, I learned just how good my heart's voice is (intuition), and ways to tune into it that I had not known before. I'll share some of those stories in the coming weeks.


In December of 2019, I came to Tucson, Arizona, and immediately FELT and KNEW that I was home. 
Roadrunner, Tucson, Arizona

I'm not sure if it's the mountains here, or the desert, or the friendly people, or the cacti, the roadrunners, or if the mineral content of the mountains is what makes this place feel like home for me. Maybe it's all of these things. An energy runs through this place that many people sense but few can pinpoint. At some level it doesn't matter the source of what I'm feeling. What matters to me is that I have found my way home.
 

For the first time in my life, I feel truly at home in a place. I have been hoping to find a place on this planet that feels like "home" for a very long time. And even better is that fact that I can already feel the creativity starting to bubble up inside of me. 

I have turned the page onto a new chapter of my life, and I cannot wait to see what unfolds.

I want to end with this: my blessings to you during these challenging times. Use caution in your daily life but please, please, avoid panic if at all possible. Fear and panic are insidious beasts that can affect your mind and body in ways you will not expect. Take care of your physical health, definitely. Get medical attention if you need it. But find ways to calm yourself when fear starts to gain the upper hand. If you have a copy of Awakenings from the Light, I included many exercises throughout the book that can help you ground and calm yourself when times are tough. And stay in touch with me via my social media channels as I share coping tips and spiritual thoughts to help you get through this challenging time.

Blessings and peace,

Nancy



Stuff You Might Have Missed
Archive: Past Newsletter Issues

TODAY Show: Nancy's Interview on NBC TV's TODAY
          Messages of Hope with Suzanne Giesemann: Exploring NDEs with Nancy Rynes
Article: Seven Lessons That Dying Taught Me About Truly Living (Aspire Magazine)

Article: Lives Changed by NDEs (Boulder Daily Camera)

Article: Awakening to Life(Pages 6-10, Journal of Exceptional Experiences and Psychology, Summer 2016)

Article: The Meaning of Life (Excellence Reporter)




Please Join Me On Social Media

Facebook | Pinterest | YouTube | LinkedIn