Eight Months of Gratitude

Eight months ago today, I nearly lost my life to a driver who was texting, not wearing her prescription driving glasses, and driving without a license. I've dealt with a lot of stuff (mostly positive) during this time, and my body continues to heal. The latest reports are good for my back and ribs, not great for my collarbone (although it still does not bother me in the least).



But today is a day of gratitude for me. I am deeply, deeply grateful to my family and friends who were, and are, there to help me out when I need it. I am grateful to the doctors, nurses, techs, nursing assistants, housekeepers, and all of the other professionals who gave me amazing care and continue to monitor my progress. And I'm grateful to my attorney who helped me navigate the insurance and legal systems with integrity and grace.

I am deeply grateful to the first responders: the Lafayette Police and Fire Departments and the good samaritans who stopped to help.

I'm grateful to The Divine and to my Guide for giving me the gift of seeing what comes after this life...and for giving me the knowledge and the opportunity to get it together to live an amazing life, here and now.

But today I am especially grateful to the woman named Annie who kept me from getting up after the accident. She gently held me stationary on the ground until the paramedics arrived to stabilize my back and neck. Without her knowledgeable and compassionate intervention, I'd at best be a paraplegic today (most likely a quadriplegic). Her assistance will allow me to get back most of the active life that I'm used to: hiking, photography, traveling, camping, mountain biking, and more. But no one can seem to find this woman - the State's Attorney's office tried for months and finally gave up. The only people Annie spoke with were me and one of the police officers on the scene (she declined to give him her full name). Anyway, Annie: whoever you are/were, you have my sincerest thanks. I hope someday to be able to thank you in person :-)

For some reason, this song seemed appropriate today:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDw3CyOmj20

All content copyright Nancy Rynes, 2014. Please read disclaimer and Legal Notes here.